Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Benefits
Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation
If you are prevented from taking your Trip for one of the covered reasons below, we will reimburse you, up to the amount in the Schedule, for the amount of prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable payments or deposits that you paid for your Trip.
Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefits
If you are delayed beyond the Scheduled Departure Date or are unable to continue your Covered Trip for one of the covered reasons below, we will reimburse you, less any refund paid or payable, for unused land or water travel arrangements, plus one of the following additional transportation expenses:
1. from the point you interrupted your Trip to the next scheduled destination where you can catch up to your Trip or to the final destination of your Trip.
2. expenses incurred by you to reach the next scheduled destination where you can catch up to your Trip if you leave after the Scheduled Departure Date of your Trip.
Note: Any forfeited, prepaid, nonrefundable and unused Payments for subsequent arrangements such as lift tickets, greens fees, equipment rentals, excursions and lessons are eligible for reimbursement under this benefit.
Reasons for Cancellation and Interruption:
1. Trip Cancellation or delayed arrival at your destination due to Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member or Traveling Companion that occurs before departure on your Trip. The Sickness or Injury must commence while coverage is in effect, require the examination by a Physician, in person, at the time of Trip Cancellation or delay and, in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from taking your Trip or delay your arrival on your Trip.
2. Trip Interruption due to Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member or Traveling Companion. The Sickness or Injury must commence while you are on your Covered Trip, require the examination by a Physician, in person, at the time of Trip Interruption and, in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from continuing your Trip.
The following reasons apply to you, a Family Member traveling with you, or a Traveling Companion and must occur while coverage is in effect:
1. mandatory evacuation or public official evacuation advisements where there is no mandatory evacuation issued by local government authorities at your destination due to adverse weather or natural disaster. In order to cancel or interrupt your Covered Trip, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Covered Trip length or less remaining on your Covered Trip at the time the mandatory evacuation ends;
2. being directly involved in a documented traffic accident while en route to your vacation rental;
3. interruption of water, electric, sewage or gas services at your destination due to inclement weather or natural disaster so as to prohibit you from reaching or remaining at your destination, for more than 24 hours and only for up to 15 days from interruption of services or to resumption of services, whichever comes first;
4. interruption of road service at your destination due to inclement weather or natural disaster so as to prohibit you from reaching your destination, for more than 6 hours and only for up to 15 days from interruption of road service or to resumption of road service, whichever comes first;
5. being called into active military service in the event of a natural disaster;
6. the primary/secondary school where you attend extends its operating session beyond its pre-defined school year. Your Trip must fall within the extension period;
7. being hijacked, quarantined (except as a result of a pandemic or epidemic), required to serve on a jury, or required by a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action;
8. your primary residence is made Uninhabitable by fire, flood or natural disaster;
9. Common Carrier delays resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown or organized labor strikes;
10. arrangements cancelled by an airline resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown, or organized labor strikes;
11. a documented theft of passports or visas;
12. a transfer of employment of 250 miles or more;
13. a Terrorist Act, which occurs in your departure city or in a city that is a scheduled destination for your Trip, provided the Terrorist Act occurs within 7 days of the Scheduled Departure Date of your Trip;
14. your involuntary termination of employment or layoff that occurs more than 15 days after your effective date and was not under your control. You must have been continuously employed with the same employer for 1 year prior to the termination or layoff;
15. your or your Traveling Companion’s or traveling Family Member’s approved, written military leave involuntarily revoked as a result of being temporarily or permanently reassigned, being called to active military reserve or an extension of deployment beyond a defined tour of duty within 30 days of your departure date. All leave must be approved prior to the Policy effective date. Full or partial mobilization or mass reassignment of Armed Forces, invocation of the War Powers Act, base or unit mobilization is not covered.
For purposes of the Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption benefits, we will consider your service animal as a Traveling Companion in determining coverage and benefits, if your service animal is scheduled to travel with you.